Welcome to "Engaging Israel," Woodlands Community Temple's new, innovative exploration, in conjunction with the Shalom Hartman Institute in Jerusalem, of a new paradigm for building meaningful connections with the modern state of Israel.
We will be placing materials here in order to make it easy for you to access them. If you have questions, please contact me.
Here's to our new adventure in learning and growing!
Rabbi Billy Dreskin
Unit 1: From Crisis to Covenant
- Peter Beinart, “The Failure of the American Jewish Establishment"
- Donniel Hartman, "Engaging Israel: Beyond Advocacy"
Unit 2: Religion and Peoplehood
- Steven M. Cohen & Jack Wertheimer, "Whatever Happened to the Jewish People?"
Unit 3: Sovereignty and Identity
- David ben Gurion, "The Imperatives of the Jewish Revolution"
- Eliezer Berkovits, "On the Return of Jewish National Life"
Unit 4: Power and Powerlessness
Unit 5: War and Occupation
- David Hartman, "Living with Conflicting Values"
- Noam Zohar, "War and Peace"
- Michael Walzer, "Just and Unjust Wars" (excerpt)
Unit 6: Morality on the Battlefield
Unit 7: Jewish and Democratic State
- Alexander Yakobson, "Jewish Peoplehood and the Jewish State, How Unique? A Comparative Survey"
- Ruth Gavison, "The Jewish State, A Justification"
- Menachem Lorberbaum, "Religion and State in Israel"
Unit 8: Religious Pluralism and Human Rights
- Various Readings (#12-18 on pages 97-98)
- David Hartman, "Israel's Responsibility for World Jewry: Reflections on Debate about the Conversion Law"
- Moshe Halbertal, "Human Rights and Membership Rights in the Jewish Tradition"
Unit 9: Values Nation